Should you get the iPhone 5S or Wait for the Iphone 6?
On September 20, 2013, Apple shocked the mobile market when they finally dropped their much-anticipated handset at the Moscone Center in the form of the iPhone 5S. After numerous rumors about the revolutionary new handset from the Cupertino Company, the device was finally launched. But, after months of being on the market, various questions have popped up regarding the device: How much of an upgrade is the iPhone 5S? Is it worth getting the handset or do you wait for the next one to be released?
The Success of iPhone
To better understand the new iPhone, we must first review the previous handsets from the Cupertino camp. The first iPhone came in 2007 that gave birth to the mobile web. A few years later, the iPhone 3G took mobile apps up a notch, while the iPhone 3GS introduced Apple to the gaming market. The iPhone 4 and 4S introduce a sleeker look than its predecessor, while the iPhone 5 came with a larger screen. From one massive hit to another, Apple has become a trendsetter in the mobile industry.
With huge success and a massive following, the handset has become a highly favored giveaway by companies and individuals during their promotional campaigns, even by tech websites like BGR. In 2013, the website announced a promotion where they gave away a brand new 16GB iPhone 5S. BGR chose a lucky Facebook fan from their page who got to take home the much-awaited device in the color of their choice.
This practice is also commonly used by gaming companies to encourage more fans to join their social pages or to show their garner responses for their successful apps. In 2010, indie game developer Coconut Island Studio announced their iPhone 4 raffle to their fans for those who purchased the Finger Balance app and were able unlock three difficult levels (4-N, 7-N, and 10-N). Along with this promo, they also gave away the classic iDragPaper for free that same week and handed out 10 $15 iTunes gift cards as a consolation prize. Similarly that year, during the height of the iPhone 4, online gaming company Partypoker gave away said handset to one of their lucky Facebook fans. Based on the mechanics presented, all they needed to do was like the page of the company on Facebook and join the discussion using their online game moniker. Apart from the phone, they also got a 10 point freeroll on their next game.
Every Apple device is valuable; and below, we’ll see how the iPhone 5S fairs against its previous variant.
The iPhone 5S
Here’s what you need to know about the current flagship:
1. Design: When holding this model, the latest flagship yields the same experience given by the iPhone 5, with a premium weight of 112 grams. Doing away with the traditional black and white, the handset now sports a golden finish along with the silver and space gray model.
2. Processor: The iPhone 5S runs the latest A7 chip set of Apple, hailed as the world’s first 64-bit smartphone. The other change here is the M7 chip, complimenting the A7 chip for a graphically powerful display. Using its own power, this chip set, also monitors the accelerometer, gyroscope, and the compass.
3. Special Feature: The iPhone 5S’ groundbreaking feature is its fingerprint scanner. Despite being a poorly-kept secret, Apple managed an impressive execution. Gizmodo reported that the new scanning feature can be an alternative to the 4-pin passcode to unlock the device and Apple ID password to purchase apps.
4. New Operating System: Despite being an eye candy, the iOS 7 gives the device the following new features:
● Control Center
This gives instant access to the handset’s settings such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane, Mode, Do Not Disturb, brightness control, and flashlight.
● Notification Center
The Notification Center is a central place where you gain all the updates, whether from your iMessage, social media, and app upgrades.
This toggle allows you to switch between apps by pressing the Home Button twice. You can also set a time when you would open a certain app. This way, the device sorts and prepares the feeds that you want to see.
The iPhone 6:
Here’s what you need to know about the next Apple smartphone:
1. Design: Based on various rumors we’ve heard from different tech websites, it seems that the next iPhone will sport a bigger screen (something that many analysts have been asking for). From the 3GS with 3.5-inch to the iPhone 5 with 4-inch, AppleInsider’s report from Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri that the company has ‘locked down’ the 4.8-inch display for their next smartphone. This was similar to what KGI Securities’ Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said last year that the Cupertino camp is likely to announce an iPhone with a larger screen that will not exceed 5-inch.
2. Processor: If the current iPhone sports the new A7, it is likely that we’ll also be expecting a faster and more powerful processor for its next handset. Reports have it that Apple will stop doing business with Samsung (after legal disputes) in making their processor chip. Korea Times said that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) will manufacture the next A series processor for Apple. With the 64-bit power and new A chip (dubbed as A8), we can’t wait to test its speed in multitasking soon.
3. Special Features: Although the company wasn’t the first to release fingerprint technology for the smartphone, it was still considered by many as a groundbreaking feature for handsets. But, Apple is just getting started in surprising us with special specs. Reports said a possible hover gesture may be included after Apple’s recent Prime Sense acquisition. The NFC and i Wallet payment system may also be considered; and finally, a wireless charging is be contemplated, too.
4. New Operating System: Whenever there’s a new device, the company pairs it up with a fresh OS. After the sizable facelift undertaken on the iOS 7, a possible iOS 8 could be revealed along with the next handset. Techradar said these are some of the features they want to see on the next Apple OS:
· Group Face Time calls
· Better application manager
· A locked account for children or guests
· Notifications similar to OS X Maverics
From the looks of it, iPhone 6 will be one revolutionary gadget that everyone is looking out for maybe this year or the next. But, we also commend Apple for their game changing fingerprint technology and 64-bit processing chip on the iPhone 5S. We sure hope that this article helped you in deciding whether to invest now on the 5S or wait for the 6th Apple smartphone. Let us know your thoughts below.